Menu icon Foundation

Developer | Czech Republic

My Posts

Replies
  • Empty column

By Ondřej Vašíček

column

Hi everyone. I have a part of system, where the content of column could be empty, because it's filled by PHP and sometimes, there is just nothing to fill in. But foundation behaves quite strange. When the column is empty, it collapses and the grid is ge... (continued)

Last Reply by Anna Everson 16 days ago

My Comments

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Will Fairhurst's post over 2 years

I'm also missing these two functions. It seems like there are more things which disappeared from F6 without explanation or workaround.
I know there are ‘triggers’ but what I understand from the example, it’s only good for scrolling and resizing. The debounce and throttle featureswere amazing and we could use them on anything what changes too fast.
Is there any chance you put them back?

Thanks for answer and your work in general. I really like F6.

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Jana Obzerova's post over 2 years

Yep, the same problem here - the new Foundation projects behave like this. The old ones are ok. There must be some change in dependencies. It’s quite tricky, that it stops working without any reason. Is there any chance how Foundation could prevent it?

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Alex Vasquez's post almost 3 years

Well something must be wrong. Few months ago, before installing W10, after update node, I remember that happened what you said - the structure got flat. But now, on W10 I have npm 3.8.6. and node 4.4.6. and the structure is deep like eyes of …. some girl with deep eyes :)

It’s true about the Windows. I’m forced to delete Foundation projects in total commander via shift+del.
I tried the dedupe and it’s quite power consuming. I took a lot of time even on powerful CPU, but in the end, it has almost a half of the size – thanks! But one would wonder, why NPM doesn’t do this automatically. I naively assumed, that it’s a standard part of every package system.
But I think that global installation of packages would definitely solve the problem, because every package would be installed globally, not in the folder of the project.

In many cases, it’s probably not god idea to install every package globally, but here, if we use Foundation over and over, it’s pretty neat I suppose. I just don’t know how to force Foundation CLI to install npm packages globally.

The same „size problem“ here. I just wanted to add, that the empty project is about 200 Mb big, which is also “too much” in my opinion. The issue is the “node_modules” folder. The dependencies are nested and nested and nested … almost infinitely. I’m a bit afraid, that they could be duplicated.
But anyway – is it possible to install dependencies via your foundation-cli globally (like the installation of foundation itself)? I guess it would solve the problem. I’ve tried “foundation new –global” but it didn’t work.
Even your foundation-cli says “Let's set up a new project. It shouldn't take more than a minute.” Well, it takes definitely more, cause it has to download 200 MB :)

Thank you for your answer and your work.

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Yann Lorber's post about 3 years

I had the exactly the same problem and my conclusion was also the same (I edited the same line of code). But I’m a bit confused, that this is pretty big issue – everybody must see it, that the link doesn’t work, so I’m wondering, why it’s still not fixed or nobody says anything.
Anyway I’m giving +1 to this post and even after a long time asking Zurb, if this is the right solution and if it’ll we fixed.

Thanks Zurbians.

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Ondřej Vašíček's post almost 4 years

Hi Rafi,
I don't talk just about postfix, but about radius postfix.

Your example is excellent. I just added a "postfix-radius" there.
Take a look on it - http://codepen.io/anon/pen/myaoaY

You see? It doesn't work and it should be. The both input and postfix should have radius, but because of the css rule I showed earlier, they don't.

You have to add another .row and .column elements right above your code, and then it works.
Look - http://codepen.io/anon/pen/ogJVJa

And that's the bug. It should work without the redundant .row and .column

The solution is very easy, just get rid of the ".row" part in css/sass definition, right after the "form" part
CSS
form .row .postfix-radius.row.collapse input

Hope it's clear now. The codepen is great tool for it.

My view of things is following - when I'm building a grid with Foundation, I would expect, that when I say "there are going to by columns - 3,4,5", they will be there with their width, no matter what the content is. I don’t wanna have any gap there. When I'm building grid, I don't always know, what the content will be like, because sometimes users fill some content and not everything is required.

As Jeremy said, do some logic in PHP is one solution, but it's seems extremely messy to me - spaghetti code. That's why I just suggested (and did actually) add rule "min-height: 1px" to every column. That means, that even column with no content will still have his place in grid (how the creator meant to).

But the reason why I wrote this ticket was, that I think it definitely should be a part of the foundation. Mayby not the "1px solution" (it's always strange to solve problems with 1p), but anything what will solve the problem of disappearing columns of zero content.

Hope everything will by readable with my English.
Thanks for your time and effort people.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I hope I know, what .row and .column are.
But take a look on my code. Let's say, it's form on simple site, right under the body. There is a "form" element, which isn't under any .row or .column, because it has to by full wide.
Under it, there is a classic foundation layout with row. and .column. (I had there class for large as well, but let's leave it simple).

This form is perfectly fine, it’s working like a charm. I don't see any broken rules there.
But the css rule "form .row .postfix-radius.row.collapse input", isn't apply for it.

It's seems to me, like foundation doesn't cover this proper situation.
Or can you please explain, what is the benefit from adding another .row and .column. Because it if course doesn't any visible change or anything. And even if there was, it doesn't say why the css shouldn't work on my example.

I see pretty easy and quick solution - just delete the ".row" part after the form. I think it doesn't have any reason.

Thanks and once again for your work on Foundation. It's great tool.

Ondřej Vašíček commented on Ondřej Vašíček's post about 4 years

Really nobody knows?

Posts Followed

Replies
  • Stop working after first change

By Jana Obzerova

gulp watch

I am using foundation 6.2.   After first change it stop working. Terminal: ➜ floder foundation watch > foundation-zurb-template@1.0.0 start /Users/me/Workspace/Sites/folder > gulp [15:25:45] Requiring external module babel-register... (continued)

Last Reply by Snig over 2 years ago

Following

No Content

Followers

• Anna Everson has no published posts

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Will Fairhurst's post over 2 years

I'm also missing these two functions. It seems like there are more things which disappeared from F6 without explanation or workaround.
I know there are ‘triggers’ but what I understand from the example, it’s only good for scrolling and resizing. The debounce and throttle featureswere amazing and we could use them on anything what changes too fast.
Is there any chance you put them back?

Thanks for answer and your work in general. I really like F6.

You commented on Jana Obzerova's post over 2 years

Yep, the same problem here - the new Foundation projects behave like this. The old ones are ok. There must be some change in dependencies. It’s quite tricky, that it stops working without any reason. Is there any chance how Foundation could prevent it?

You commented on Alex Vasquez's post almost 3 years

Well something must be wrong. Few months ago, before installing W10, after update node, I remember that happened what you said - the structure got flat. But now, on W10 I have npm 3.8.6. and node 4.4.6. and the structure is deep like eyes of …. some girl with deep eyes :)

It’s true about the Windows. I’m forced to delete Foundation projects in total commander via shift+del.
I tried the dedupe and it’s quite power consuming. I took a lot of time even on powerful CPU, but in the end, it has almost a half of the size – thanks! But one would wonder, why NPM doesn’t do this automatically. I naively assumed, that it’s a standard part of every package system.
But I think that global installation of packages would definitely solve the problem, because every package would be installed globally, not in the folder of the project.

In many cases, it’s probably not god idea to install every package globally, but here, if we use Foundation over and over, it’s pretty neat I suppose. I just don’t know how to force Foundation CLI to install npm packages globally.

The same „size problem“ here. I just wanted to add, that the empty project is about 200 Mb big, which is also “too much” in my opinion. The issue is the “node_modules” folder. The dependencies are nested and nested and nested … almost infinitely. I’m a bit afraid, that they could be duplicated.
But anyway – is it possible to install dependencies via your foundation-cli globally (like the installation of foundation itself)? I guess it would solve the problem. I’ve tried “foundation new –global” but it didn’t work.
Even your foundation-cli says “Let's set up a new project. It shouldn't take more than a minute.” Well, it takes definitely more, cause it has to download 200 MB :)

Thank you for your answer and your work.

You commented on Yann Lorber's post about 3 years

I had the exactly the same problem and my conclusion was also the same (I edited the same line of code). But I’m a bit confused, that this is pretty big issue – everybody must see it, that the link doesn’t work, so I’m wondering, why it’s still not fixed or nobody says anything.
Anyway I’m giving +1 to this post and even after a long time asking Zurb, if this is the right solution and if it’ll we fixed.

Thanks Zurbians.

You commented on Ondřej Vašíček's post almost 4 years

Hi Rafi,
I don't talk just about postfix, but about radius postfix.

Your example is excellent. I just added a "postfix-radius" there.
Take a look on it - http://codepen.io/anon/pen/myaoaY

You see? It doesn't work and it should be. The both input and postfix should have radius, but because of the css rule I showed earlier, they don't.

You have to add another .row and .column elements right above your code, and then it works.
Look - http://codepen.io/anon/pen/ogJVJa

And that's the bug. It should work without the redundant .row and .column

The solution is very easy, just get rid of the ".row" part in css/sass definition, right after the "form" part
CSS
form .row .postfix-radius.row.collapse input

Hope it's clear now. The codepen is great tool for it.

My view of things is following - when I'm building a grid with Foundation, I would expect, that when I say "there are going to by columns - 3,4,5", they will be there with their width, no matter what the content is. I don’t wanna have any gap there. When I'm building grid, I don't always know, what the content will be like, because sometimes users fill some content and not everything is required.

As Jeremy said, do some logic in PHP is one solution, but it's seems extremely messy to me - spaghetti code. That's why I just suggested (and did actually) add rule "min-height: 1px" to every column. That means, that even column with no content will still have his place in grid (how the creator meant to).

But the reason why I wrote this ticket was, that I think it definitely should be a part of the foundation. Mayby not the "1px solution" (it's always strange to solve problems with 1p), but anything what will solve the problem of disappearing columns of zero content.

Hope everything will by readable with my English.
Thanks for your time and effort people.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I hope I know, what .row and .column are.
But take a look on my code. Let's say, it's form on simple site, right under the body. There is a "form" element, which isn't under any .row or .column, because it has to by full wide.
Under it, there is a classic foundation layout with row. and .column. (I had there class for large as well, but let's leave it simple).

This form is perfectly fine, it’s working like a charm. I don't see any broken rules there.
But the css rule "form .row .postfix-radius.row.collapse input", isn't apply for it.

It's seems to me, like foundation doesn't cover this proper situation.
Or can you please explain, what is the benefit from adding another .row and .column. Because it if course doesn't any visible change or anything. And even if there was, it doesn't say why the css shouldn't work on my example.

I see pretty easy and quick solution - just delete the ".row" part after the form. I think it doesn't have any reason.

Thanks and once again for your work on Foundation. It's great tool.

You commented on Ondřej Vašíček's post about 4 years

Really nobody knows?

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• Anna Everson has no published posts