Menu icon Foundation
Get data from csv via json into Panini

Hello,

after a long time i started a web project and found the extremly cool foundation framework and panini. I like the approch and i could solve all my problems until now. I reworked the hompage of our company wich relyed heavily on php. On the hompage we have a lot of tables where the prices where loaded everytime the page was called by a php function from a mySQL databse. As the prices change only once a year i want to shift the generation of the tables to panini. Therfore i have to inject the prices wich i get as .csv tables out of our acess database into panini. I ask more for a general idea as there might be different ways.

For now i am thinking of converting the csv table wich looks like this

product   | price 1 | price 2 | price 3

productA | 10USD | 5USD   | 3USD

to json (with this tool) and then get the different prices of the different products with a custom helper out of the json into the table wich alredy exists as a html table skeleton in panini. So a table entry would look like (pseudo code)

getPrice(productA,pice1)

and then prints 10USD.

This is just an idea that i would like to implement maybe there are other ways. Is there someone who has an idea on this issue. I kow that one can get data into panini with the #each helper but i did not figure out if i could do what i want to do with these already existing helpers.

Thanks four your time Jakob

csvpaniniJSONDatabase

Hello,

after a long time i started a web project and found the extremly cool foundation framework and panini. I like the approch and i could solve all my problems until now. I reworked the hompage of our company wich relyed heavily on php. On the hompage we have a lot of tables where the prices where loaded everytime the page was called by a php function from a mySQL databse. As the prices change only once a year i want to shift the generation of the tables to panini. Therfore i have to inject the prices wich i get as .csv tables out of our acess database into panini. I ask more for a general idea as there might be different ways.

For now i am thinking of converting the csv table wich looks like this

product   | price 1 | price 2 | price 3

productA | 10USD | 5USD   | 3USD

to json (with this tool) and then get the different prices of the different products with a custom helper out of the json into the table wich alredy exists as a html table skeleton in panini. So a table entry would look like (pseudo code)

getPrice(productA,pice1)

and then prints 10USD.

This is just an idea that i would like to implement maybe there are other ways. Is there someone who has an idea on this issue. I kow that one can get data into panini with the #each helper but i did not figure out if i could do what i want to do with these already existing helpers.

Thanks four your time Jakob

Rafi Benkual 12 days ago

That should work. I was going to suggest a JSON API but it seems you have that. So wrapping the table in an @each helper with the variables defined in the table cells sounds right  to me.

Jakob Silbermann 11 days ago

Hello rafi,

Thank you for your answer but can you explain shortly what the difference between #each and @each is ? I tried to find out about this by myself and google but i just found several post which I do not understand*. So I think it might be something fundamental between # and @. Sorry I am on the level one is after watching all of the various you tube introduction videos of you and your colleagues. I really enjoyed them they are very good and it is fun to watch them.

Jakob

* http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/16411-sass-variables-not-working-in-media-queries

Rafi Benkual 10 days ago

Thanks for the kudos!

@each is a function of Sass syntax

{{#each global.nav_items}} for example is a Handlebars syntax for your HTML to iterate through sets of data and print them out. 

You can see an example of it used in Panini here: 

http://zurb.com/university/lessons/steering-you-right-with-panini-s-handlebars-helpers-and-data-ee441dba-f8e5-449b-bbfb-5fb65d655f81

Jakob Silbermann 5 days ago

Hello Rafi,

thank you for the explanation and link. I will work on it and come back if further questions pop up.

Bye Jakob