Menu icon Foundation
Just read a post about foundation, what do you think?

Just read an article: Trying Zurb Foundation; what I found.
https://mattwilcox.net/web-development/trying-zurb-foundation

What do you think about the points raised in the article?

Article

Just read an article: Trying Zurb Foundation; what I found.
https://mattwilcox.net/web-development/trying-zurb-foundation

What do you think about the points raised in the article?

James Stone about 1 year ago

I think this is a very well thought out and reasonable response to working with ZURB Foundation for the first time coming from a Senior Front-end Dev position. I think he raises some valid points (many to which I think there is a rebuttal and stems from not understanding different ways in which to use Foundation) which could be greatly improved in the current Foundation docs and on boarding process.

For example, there are a lot of deps to install the foundation-cli. Does that mean it is the only way to install it, no. But the other methods are not as obvious or well documented.

Also, he takes the framework and its output from a basic level. There are several different ways you can implement ZURB Foundation such as only using components that do not use JS at all to his extreme of looking at every component and looking at the accessibility of each.

Since this article was written, ZURB Foundation 6 has been released which addresses a lot of the issues brought up.

I think although it is biased against using a framework to begin with, and also that it does have a biased viewpoint and tone, it provides some great insight to those working with Foundation and gives some great ideas of where things could be improved.

Steven Muncy about 1 year ago

"For example, there are a lot of deps to install the foundation-cli. Does that mean it is the only way to install it, no. But the other methods are not as obvious or well documented."

Hopefully someone can write up a very simple way to integrate Foundation, and then be able to upgrade it as changes are made.

Chuong Huynh about 1 year ago

Thanks. I will look into the article again soon when I have time, to clarify a few points that i got from it. I remember reading some interesting points which I'm not sure Foundation6 addressed

James Stone about 1 year ago

@Steven Muncy

1) easiest method is to install via bower.

bower install --save foundation-sites

requires bower, and node

2) other method install via git

git clone git@github.com:zurb/foundation-sites.git

requires git.

Of course, neither of these are automatic, and you will need to pull boilerplate html and link to files correctly, or pull from this repo.

https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites-template

3) Absolutely easiest install, zero deps. Use Yeti Launch. Mac Only.

If you are integrating into an existing app, using the cli is a lot of overhead and slow compared to using bower directly.

Often you will want to use something like bower to install and update and then create some sort of a build script using gulp or grunt. In Ruby and Middleman you can use sprockets (an asset pipeline) which does a lot of that automatically.

For other stacks you need to look into what is the best practices. There is no single solution that is easy and solves every use case for every type of integration.

Jon B about 1 year ago

It's interesting to note that I have discovered that Yeti does not currently install the latest version... I think the Zurb guys are looking at changing Yeti to make sure it updates automatically.

Jon B