Menu icon Foundation
Update F6.0.0 to F6.1.2, How?

I used Yeti Launch to install F6.0.0 on 12/23/15 and all went well. I need the column uncentered class and it was supposed to be fixed in 6.1.1 so I tried npm update foundation-sites and bower update foundation-sites in terminal but they didn't seem to do anything.

Next I changed the version number in bower.json to 6.1.1 and tried updating again. It still didn't seem to update although there was file downloading. I use npm for another app and I've used Bower with F4 some time ago. I'm no wiz but familiar with them.

Next I tried Codekit and that seemed to result in action. However, I can't find Foundation files with recent dates and the uncentered bug is still there. It seems nothing was actually updated. The main folders have the new update date but nothing inside does. I expect a least a half dozen files to have dates since 12/23.

I'm thinking of starting over by deleting most of the /Foundation files and reinstalling from scratch. I've saved the scss and gulp files I've worked on in another folder.

However, it seems like Bower or npm should work. Maybe all my thrashing around has screwed up something.

Any ideas? Help appreciated of course!

:-)

update process

I used Yeti Launch to install F6.0.0 on 12/23/15 and all went well. I need the column uncentered class and it was supposed to be fixed in 6.1.1 so I tried npm update foundation-sites and bower update foundation-sites in terminal but they didn't seem to do anything.

Next I changed the version number in bower.json to 6.1.1 and tried updating again. It still didn't seem to update although there was file downloading. I use npm for another app and I've used Bower with F4 some time ago. I'm no wiz but familiar with them.

Next I tried Codekit and that seemed to result in action. However, I can't find Foundation files with recent dates and the uncentered bug is still there. It seems nothing was actually updated. The main folders have the new update date but nothing inside does. I expect a least a half dozen files to have dates since 12/23.

I'm thinking of starting over by deleting most of the /Foundation files and reinstalling from scratch. I've saved the scss and gulp files I've worked on in another folder.

However, it seems like Bower or npm should work. Maybe all my thrashing around has screwed up something.

Any ideas? Help appreciated of course!

:-)

James Stone about 1 year ago

Just spoke with the ZURB Team.

If you click on the terminal button (assuming you have installed node, npm and bower) you can just type "bower update" from that directory. This is your individual project directory, not the Yeti Launch projects directory.

This will update you to the latest version available.

They are planning to add a button that allows you to do this directly in Yeti Launch in the future.

Jim Preston about 1 year ago

Thanks James, and thank you for your video tuts!

I think I was trying to update from the root above /foundation. Yeti Launch put me in /foundation.

I looked through all the directories and files and didn't seem much with recent dates but maybe that is supposed to be that way.

At the bottom of a bunch of processes I have this in Terminal:

bower extra-resolution Unnecessary resolution: foundation-sites#~6.1.1
bower install foundation-sites#6.1.2

foundation-sites#6.1.2 bower_components/foundation-sites
├── jquery#2.1.4
└── what-input#1.1.4

bower.json was updated to 6.1.2. I assume that this means all of Foundation was updated in this process but Terminal didn't display files being updated.

Below are the first processes above what I posted above.

bower update
bower cached git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#6.1.1
bower validate 6.1.1 against git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#~6.1.1
bower cached git://github.com/zurb/motion-ui.git#1.1.1
bower validate 1.1.1 against git://github.com/zurb/motion-ui.git#~1.1.0
bower cached git://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#2.2.0
bower validate 2.2.0 against git://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#~2.2.0
bower cached git://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#2.1.4
bower validate 2.1.4 against git://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git#~2.1.4
bower new version for git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#~6.1.1
bower resolve git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#~6.1.1
bower download https://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites/archive/v6.1.2.tar.gz
bower extract foundation-sites#~6.1.1 archive.tar.gz
bower resolved git://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites.git#6.1.2
bower cached git://github.com/ten1seven/what-input.git#1.1.4
bower validate 1.1.4 against git://github.com/ten1seven/what-input.git#~1.1.2

Please note that,
motion-ui#1.1.1 depends on jquery#~2.1.4 which resolved to jquery#2.1.4
foundation-sites#6.1.2 depends on jquery#~2.1.0 which resolved to jquery#2.1.4
foundation-sites-template depends on jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.0
Resort to using jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.0
Code incompatibilities may occur.

James Stone about 1 year ago

Looks like you are updated. It will only show the specific packages being updated and not the individual files. Bower basically automates the process of pulling down all of these git repos and their dependancies (such as jQuery).

It makes the whole process a lot easier to maintain because you can just update it all at once.

You also have the power to lock down specific versions on a project if you want in the bower.json file but that might be a bit more advanced. Usually you can just go with the latest version and everything should be ok.

Rafi Benkual about 1 year ago

@James Stone Good answer! On the roadmap:

• a check everytime the app is opened for a auto update to the app
  • a check everytime the app is opened for a new version of Foundation for {framework} and a button to update

@Jim Preston Looks good!