Menu icon Foundation
Foundation 6 - any major changes?

Hi there,

I'm extremely excited to be using Foundation 6 as I currently use Foundation 5 to build most of the websites I make. However, I was wondering if there are any major changes, specifically to how the way the grid is structured (naming conventions).

Looking forward to it!

Jarryd Fillmore

Jarryd Fillmorefoundation 6The Grid

Hi there,

I'm extremely excited to be using Foundation 6 as I currently use Foundation 5 to build most of the websites I make. However, I was wondering if there are any major changes, specifically to how the way the grid is structured (naming conventions).

Looking forward to it!

Jarryd Fillmore

Rafi Benkual almost 2 years ago

Good question! In order to make Foundation 6 push the boundaries of web dev, we needed to change some things.

We'll have a migration guide for people who want to upgrade from 5-6.

Here are some of the high level details -

The Grid: The grid classes stay the same in the new version. This means your layouts won't change. We will be updating the breakpoints to better fit smaller devices.
JS Plugins: All the JS has been re-written for better performance and smaller file size. HTML will not be created by the JS so that styling is easier as well.
SCSS: Simpler styles means writing your own CSS is easy and fast. Variables are better thought out.

There's tons more but this should give you an idea of how some of the changes play out.

Also: Foundation 5 is stable and will get a couple more patches after 6 is out. You won't have to update if you already built on 5. ZURB has properties still on 4, and even 3.

Jarryd Fillmore almost 2 years ago

Awesome. Thank you for the reply Rafi, it's much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jarryd Fillmore

merrickdav 7 months ago

I am new to using Foundation.

I have one website up and running using Foundation 5.I am looking at upgrading to Foundation 6

1) When I create a new project can I choose what version of Foundation I use? The Changes in Foundation 6 sound great.

2) At the moment I have no problems doing changes to the Website as they are mainly php files.. Is going to be neccesary to upgrade to Foundation 6 to keep it running?

Cheers Dave

Albert Delorenzi 7 months ago

The change that may affect your html is Block Grid. In Foundation 6 it uses a div structure where as, Foundation 5 uses a ul structure.